Monday, July 19, 2010

The beginning of a new chapter

Over 8 years of service in wild and zoo animal medicine and management, more than 15 years, if counting the years I started to volunteer at Zoos and Conservation Centre. Loads of experience and knowledge accumulated, hopefully I have manage to disseminate some as well, to the benefit of people and animals in this field.

My favourite have always been the cats: big and small, striped, spotted or not. Never would I imagine that I would one day be handling snakes, and be good enough to teach others on how to handle snakes. Was unable to even look at pictures of snakes, afraid that it would came alive and drop out of the pages. Also, couldn't bring myself even to touch snake's moulted skin, thinking that if I touch it, it would magically turn into a snake again. Such imagination.

I remembered the first time holding a snake, bared hand (!!) at Taiping Zoo. Was already feeling so 'yucky', but can't show that I'm actually terrified and horrified. (Didn't want to be the vet that can't handle snake, sure it is a she) Then I heard a crack, I thought the snake broke its vertebrae (back bone) as it was struggling and twisting, and I was holding very tightly. Alas, I let go. Luckily it did get to bite my assistant, or else he would scarred for life, physically, whereas  I would scarred for life too, emotionally. Never really found out what made that crack sound, did somebody broke his/her seams, not mine...hmmm???






Anyway, if you just can't stand physically touching a snake, use tools to remove the snake instead. Here, I'm using a snake hook. You could use anything, broom stick, dust pan, bins, as long as it does not cause injuries to the snake. Or, like I used to do (before working in the zoo): shut myself in my room, make sure all holes are sealed and snake can't get in, and go to sleep. Snakes would leave by next morning. They are naturally not human-friendly and are just passing by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment